German Chocolate Cupcakes




I made some cupcakes and let me tell you something, they are Gooooooood!
My husband actually asked me what bakery I got these from, because you know... I don't know how to bake anything. 


Chocolate Cake:
1 box Devil’s Food Cake Mix
3 eggs
½ cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup buttermilk
1 cup sour cream

German Chocolate Frosting:
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1/2 cup butter
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cup chopped pecans
1 ½ cup flaked coconut

Chocolate Buttercream:
4 ounces cream cheese
½ cup butter
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk or cream

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two muffin tins with 24 cupcake liners.

2. In a electric stand mixer, gently combine oil, eggs and vanilla extract.

3. Add in about 1/3 of the cake mix and mix until combined.

4. Add Buttermilk and mix until combined.

5. Add another third of the cake mix.

6. Add sour cream, then final third of cake mix.

7. Fill cupcake liners ¾ full and bake for 18-22 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
8. German Chocolate Frosting: On medium heat in a sauce pan, constantly stir evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks and butter until thickened. (Basically, until it boils and it will take approximately 10 minutes.) Stir in vanilla extract, pecans and coconut. Then transfer to a large bowl and stick in the fridge to cool.

9. Chocolate Buttercream: Beat cream cheese and butter for 4 minutes. Add cocoa, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Let beat for 3 minutes. add milk. If it is too thin, add powdered sugar. Or if it is not dark enough, add more cocoa.

10. Pipe Chocolate Buttercream around the edge of the cupcakes to create a barrier, and scoop a small amount of cooled German Chocolate Frosting into the center.


And then you can enjoy...




8 comments:

  1. These look amazing :)

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! My hubby would love me forever if I made him these. Pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can eat that coconut/pecan frosting by the spoonful! These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious. I will have to give them a try! I would love it if you would stop by and share at the crafty link party going on right now at Lines Across.
    I hope to see you soon,
    Rachel
    http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2011/12/cure-for-common-monday-22.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are gorgeous! Such a unique twist on German chocolate cake. I'd like to invite you to share your recipe on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/12/sweet-indulgences-sunday-35.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great treat! What a yummy recipe! Thank you so much for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday! We would love to have you come back next Saturday and share more of your incredible ideas! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rita, thank you for posting the best and easiest cupcakes recipe. I made these for my niece's bday party and they were a hit. I reposted the recipe for the cupcake on my blog, using a different frosting. Huge fan of your blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete